HEALTHIER CHICKEN SPINACH ALFREDO
- 1 lb. penne pasta
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 Tbsp. light cream cheese
- 5 cups parmesan cheese
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the penne in very salty water until al dente.
- While the pasta cooks, melt butter in a separate large saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped garlic and sauté until fragrant and cooked through, about 2 minutes.
- Add flour to butter and whisk to combine and form a roux. Let roux cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add milk a little at a time, whisking constantly to work out any lumps. Milk will thicken up quickly at the beginning, but as you whisk the rest of the milk in it will loosen the sauce.
- Cook sauce, whisking occasionally, until thickened, about 6 minutes.
- Add cream cheese and whisk until cheese has melted.
- Remove sauce from heat and stir in parmesan cheese, shredded chicken, and spinach into sauce. Stir until cheese has melted.
- Taste the sauce and add salt and pepper as necessary.
- Add cooked pasta to sauce and stir until the sauce evenly coats the noodles. Serve immediately.
Printable version: HEALTHIER CHICKEN SPINACH ALFREDO